Stafford House School of English was founded in 1952 and has locations in the UK and the USA.
Stafford House, Canterbury, is part of the Stafford House English Language Teaching group of schools which also has locations in London, Cambridge, Brighton in the UK and Boston, San Francisco and San Diego in the USA.
The group was founded in 1959 and the Canterbury school is housed in a beautiful colonnaded building, only a mile from the city centre.
The Stafford House school in Canterbury is located in the heart of this historic and beautiful city and offers students high quality teaching, top-rated facilities and a uniquely British cultural experience.
The school offers a wide range of courses including:
● General English (in groups and one-to-one)
● Intensive English
● Exam preparation (Cambridge FCE, CPE and CAE)
Courses are taught on a flexible schedule of 20 to 30 lessons per week, according to the student’s needs. The school building has been fully refurbished with modern interiors and offers 12 classrooms, all with interactive whiteboards and Internet-assisted technology.
Lessons are taught in small, intimate groups (maximum 14) and emphasis is placed on speaking, listening and group discussion.
Students come to learn English at Stafford House, Canterbury from all over the world and there is a diverse mix of nationalities. Canterbury is situated just one hour by train to London and Gatwick airport.
Teaching and learning at Stafford House, Canterbury, is based on the school’s four core principles; personal service, excellent teaching, premium facilities and flexible learning.
Lessons are taught in small classes of around 10-14 and students are encouraged to fully participate in class discussion. Lessons are fun, interesting and enjoyable and students learn the language through speaking, listening, writing and vocabulary.
The school also offers a unique ‘module option’ within many of the courses, where learning is specifically tailored to a subject of interest to each student - such as culture, arts, politics, or media.
All teachers at Stafford House, Canterbury are qualified native-level English speakers, some to Diploma level. Teachers are evaluated each week and engage in regular training to ensure that students receive the best experience possible.
Feedback and Testing:
In addition to regular feedback from their teachers, students receive a monthly one-to-one session with a senior member of staff to discuss their progress and any other issues related to their learning.
On your first day you will take a language assessment which tests your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary, and how well you are able to understand and speak English, helping the school to understand the class in which you will be happiest and most successful.
As well as teaching staff, Stafford House, Canterbury has a welfare team who provide full support to students in the areas of accommodation, transport and other personal issues during their time at the school. On arrival at the school students receive a full induction programme which includes:
● A tour of the school and introduction to the staff
● A functional walking tour of the local area
● Help on how to register with the police and a doctor, and how to open a bank account
● Help with finding your nearest religious or cultural organisations
1. General English Standard - 20 morning lessons per week, ideal for students who wish to have more free time for other activities. All language abilities.
2. General English Intensive - 25 lessons per week including a specialist tailored module of interest to the student (British life, current affairs, arts, media, etc.). All
3. General English Super Intensive - 30 lessons per week with the choice of two specialist modules tailored to the student’s interests (as above).
Students can choose to supplement the General English course with one-to-one lessons for a further fee. Time and Days of the week where the course is taught:
All courses are taught at the Stafford House school building. Courses start every Monday (excluding public holidays) and the minimum age is 16.
● Standard course (20 lessons): 9.00 to 12.40 every day
● Intensive course (25 lessons): 9.00 to 14.20 every day
● Super Intensive course (30 lessons): 9.00 to 15.20 every day
● One-to-one: To be arranged with school.
Lesson duration: 45 minutes
Course certificate: certificate of Achievement awarded on completion of the course.
● Intensive IELTS Preparation course: 25 lessons per week. Starts every Monday and has a duration of 5-52 weeks.
● Super Intensive IELTS Preparation course: 30 lessons per week. Starts every Monday and has a duration of 5-52 weeks.
Time and Days of the week where the course is taught: all courses are taught at the Stafford House, Canterbury, school building.
Intensive IELTS preparation course: 09.00 to 14.20 every day
Super Intensive IELTS preparation course: 09.00 to 15.20 every day.
Lesson duration: 45 minutes
Course certificate: regular IELTS exams are held throughout the year, contact Stafford House, Canterbury for more information.
- Student Lounge
- Free Internet
- Interactive Whiteboards
- Social Calendar
- IT Lounge
- Self Study Room